Sunday, September 10, 2006

Beach time

When I was in high school, like many teens in San Jose (California), I thought that it might be cool to go live on the other side of the hill in Santa Cruz -- near the beach. That never happened and I've never really lived near a real beach -- until now.

This afternoon Cheryl and I went snorkeling -- our first beach outing together since arriving on Guam. Warm water -- beautiful tropical fish -- relaxing relatively uncrowded beach front on a lagoon protected by the barrier reef. And the thing is that we can stay for an hour or two (just enough time to enjoy it all without getting fried by the equatorial sun) because we know that we live close enough and could go everyday -- if schedule permitted.

Interestingly, apart from a strolling group of five young military guys who had been out in the sun too long, we were the only haoles on our beach. Lots of naturally tan children with their families -- Chamorros -- and Filipinos -- a few Chuukese (I'm actually learning to discern the differences). There were a couple of Japanese tourists, too, but I suspect that most of them congregate on the beaches a little bit further north on the bay.

This is a good place to be -- even to relax occasionally -- way better than how I had envisioned a life near the beach in Santa Cruz.

No comments:

Brad's blog, updated almost daily, can be found here.